Reply To: Racist Southern people

Kristina
The idea that Southern people are more racist than Northern people came from Civil War times; blacks migrated from the South to the North to find jobs, so it was believed that the South was more racist. However, even in the North, blacks encountered a great deal of discrimination - it may have been in equal amounts as blacks in the South. I have lived in Virginia, a Southern state with mostly white people. I haven't experienced any more racism than when visiting New York or what not. I think it's not location as much as socioeconomic class. Upper-class whites will at least try to not discriminate. Lower-class whites may not care as much, as it seems as if the KKK and other racist groups are more common among lower-class whites. Lower-class whites seem to live more in the South, so maybe this is why it appears these states are more racist. But really, if you are black (or in your case, Hispanic), no matter where you are, you are more likely to have to fight prejudice than a white person.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class,