Reply To: Atheists and references to God

Kay
As an atheist I have been asked this question many times and have recently come to find my own answer. I think the best way to picture what an atheist feels is when, for instance, they see 'God' on money or in the pledge. It's the same thing as if a Christian looked at a dollar and the pledge and they had 'Allah' or 'Buddah' on them. It's not so much they're angry at the idea that people believe in God or whatever, it's the fact that they're being excluded from whatever group, in your case the U.S. Government, in question. No one wants to be excluded, but being isolated from the United States, or any 'home' country, is outrageous in this day and age. Also it is disrespectful to an atheist's beliefs, due to the fact that using 'God' contradicts their beliefs. This is why I believe many atheists are in an uproar over the use of 'God' in many situations. Personally, I don't mind all references to a higher power, but people who make those references had better be prepared to hear my response, and most are not.

User Detail :  

Name : Kay, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class,