Reply To: Racist Southern people

Rodf
Participant
You are 100 percent right. I am brown and have lived in the South for 10 years, and believe me, 'Southern Hospitality' is one big, laughable myth. Even if it exists, it is reserved for whites. I've even lived close to Atlanta, and frankly, I found it to be a dump, just like other Southern cities.

There's nothing in the South: no culture, no economy, no sophistication, no great institutions of learning, no cool cities, no progress and no good weather. And it's blessed with blissful ignorance, high crime, poor education, poverty, funny accents, idiotic drivers and historical embarrassment.

Ultimately, you are dealing with a group of people among whom the mindset of 'White Superiority' and the 'benefits' of segregation are very strong and have been passed down from one generation to the next since the Civil War. Add to that generous amounts of good, kind-hearted 'we love all' Christian values practiced by the xenophobic Southern Baptists, and you see what I mean...

And not only was the loss of the Civil War a blow to Southern pride, but to add insult to injury, there was desegregation in the mid-'60s. Therefore, the 'Northerners' not only freed the blacks, but they have also ensured that the white Southerner will have to live and work alongside blacks. And look what's happening: given equal opportunity, blacks have shown they are not as 'incompetent' as the white Southerner's ancestors always made them out to be. So the notion of 'white superiority' goes out the window. Now, white Southerners are faced with direct competition, and their beliefs have been proven absolutely wrong. And when this happens, you have insecurity, fear and hate setting in. And therefore the sight of another black or brown face simply causes more fear and resentment. At that moment the Southerner thinks 'Man, because of you my ancestors got screwed, and so am I. How come you move so freely in front of me? Go back to where you belong!'

Believe me, the best place to live in the United States is the Midwest or Rocky Mountain States, where people have warmth, genuine respect and courtesy for others. Sure, there are problems there, too, but rest assured you will be far away from 'Southern Hostility.'

User Detail :  

Name : Rodf, Gender : M, Race : Brown, Age : 30, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,