Reply To: Comedy and race

Odeana
Participant
I think Chris Rock put it best. The reason black people can call other black people names but white people can't is the same reason you can call your kid an idiot but someone outside your family can't. I can tease members of my family or community in a way that I wouldn't tolerate from outside the group. In fact, if someone outside the group were to say the same thing, it wouldn't be funny and I might even see it as hostile. As for black people making jokes about white people, I guess if I were white I wouldn't think it was funny. But I see these kinds of jokes (which I increasingly don't find so funny, by the way) as defense mechanisms. It's a way of making black people the "norm" and looking at white people like anthropologists do "lost tribes."

User Detail :  

Name : Odeana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Academic, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class,