Reply To: African-American names

Joanne30571
Participant
The reason Africans 'create' names such as those you mentioned is probably due to reasons of cultural expression. If you have looked beyond your Jewish ancestry and what you perceive as'normal,' you will find that people from different ethnic/racial backgrounds have varying names. As far as offending someone, if you reverse the question you asked, I think you'd find it less offensive but rather just close-minded. Do you question why Jewish people feel the need to create names like 'Goldstein' or 'Schomberg'? Why not have 'normal' names like 'Smith' or 'Jones'? Diversity in names is just as beautiful as diversity of skin color and culture. I hope all Africans with names like 'LaTonya' are as proud of their heritage and cultural preferences as much as all Jews named 'Goldstein' are. I for one wish I had a more interesting name than the one I was given.

User Detail :  

Name : Joanne30571, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,