Possible to love an Indian woman?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jeff
    Participant
    I'm a Filipino. Can I fall in love with an Asian Indian woman? It seems Indians are tied to their culture, and their culture doesn't permit interracial relationships.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Manila, State : NA Country : Philippines, Occupation : Marketing Analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Suresh
    Participant
    As an Indian born into a higher caste family (though I don't believe in the caste system), I will give you the straight and bitter truth. The amount of discrimination present in India is huge, and even though the caste system is not encouraged by the goverment, the biases that people have had for centuries have not faded. The North Indians who are Caucasians by race consider the South Indians inferior. Outside India, blacks and Asians are also considered inferior.

Just to narrate an unfortunate personal account that explains how rampant this problem is: I was dating an Asian woman from China a few years ago, and when my parents found out about it, they threatened to disown me if I pursued the relationship. Being naive and afraid of the consequences, I had no choice but to abandon the relationship. I am now married to a white woman, and even though my parents had some objections about the cultural differences, they didn't consider it to be a big problem. This should answer your question about the way Indians see interracial relationships

User Detail :  

Name : Suresh, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 31, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

jeffrey30965
    Participant
    but you are NOT white. you said you are indian born. you are indian the. it doesn't matter if you have fair skin. stop thinking you are white because you are not. the fact that you called north indians caucasian made me laugh. did you go to college??

User Detail :  

Name : jeffrey30965, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : smith, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

FCBarcelona1
    Participant
    Jeff: It depends on the woman. Here is the reality of your situation: Indians are definitely tied to their culture. As with most ultra-nationalistic groups, Indians tend to be careful to 'preserve' their ethnicity. FYI, Indian is the larger group, there is a bewildering mixture of ethnicities defined by region, language and customs. In any case, the question for your girfriend is this: will she ride with you into the sunset without her parents' permission? If the answer is in the affirmative, then the issue of her Indian culture becomes almost moot. The trick, then, will be to respect her parents' wishes no matter what but not succumb to their disapproval. Then, again, her parents might not disapprove of you; you might well be onto acceptance, however partial.

User Detail :  

Name : FCBarcelona1, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : East Indian, Age : 31, City : Westminister, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : LSAT student and Special ed. bus driver, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Lawrence
    I'm a black male married to an Asian Indian woman. When I first met my wife at college, I was immediately attracted to her personality regardless of her racial background. When we started going out together, I understood before hand the 'caste' system in her culture, however I was in love at the time and it didn't matter to me that much. My wife on the other hand, went through hell when we were dating. She had to constantly lie to her parents and sneak out the house to be me.(We were 22 years olds at the time!) After a few years of hiding and lying about our relationship to her parents, we finally decided to tell them that we were going to get married. As expected they became extremely upset and threatened to disown my wife forever. Forcing her to choose either 'me' or 'them'. In the end she choose me, which I am forever grateful; however her parents have not spoken to her since. There's not a moment that goes by that I don't wish her family would call and say 'OK, we don't approve...but you're still our daughter.' My wife refuses to make contact with her family as well, being equally as stubborn. It hurts my wife deeply, but she does not talk about it because of the pain that it brings. As you can see this situation is both a blessing and a curse. Good Luck.

User Detail :  

Name : Lawrence, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.