Reply To: Fake white accents among Hispanics

Jane20946
Participant
My husband is an hispanic immigrant, we live in an hispanic community and I work in a restaurant kitchen in Texas, and yet, with a few exceptions, I have not witnessed this overwhelming desire to speak un-accented English, (or any English, for that matter), among the hispanics I am in contact with. Perhaps the case is much different elsewhere.At any rate it seems that anyone mastering another language might have a natural desire to speak it as authentically as possible. How satisfying to practice a foreign language, go to that country, and have the natives remark how much like a native speaker you sound. As I continue to improve my Spanish, I work on the accent and pronounciation as well as grammar. An improved accent equals improved communication. Also, what's a 'white' accent? I do know that though I've lived in Texas my whole life there are white folks from rural areas that I still can't understand a word they are saying.

User Detail :  

Name : Jane20946, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 41, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : pastry chef, Education level : 4 Years of College,