Reply To: Reply To: Just ‘fly-over land’?

Stephanie
Participant
I am a Native Northern Californian who relocated to Ohio last year. I too, fell in love with an Ohioan, married him and moved here. For the most part, the natives here in Ohio are friendly and welcoming, but I have encountered a few that are cold, distant, unfriendly, and very cliquish, meaning that if you are from out of town, don't even think of trying to become part of the community because you simply aren't welcome. As stated before, I come from Northern California and have met people who hold a stereotype about California that it is all Hollywood, swimming pools, and movie stars. I imagine that people from upstate New York get the same attitude. Some of the people here just automatically assume that because I come from California, I am some kind of conceited snob with lots of cash and attitude, before they even get to know me. Nothing could be futher from the truth. I came from a semi rural part of California that is very much like the midwest. It was however growing by the day and getting very crowded and expensive to live in much like Southern California. I figured I could start fresh in the midwest but the transition has been very rough because of the stereotypes.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Wapakoneta, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : retail clerk, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,