Reply To: Reply To: Handicapped people cutting in line

Ted24680
Participant
Lisa, if you are in the habit of jumping in front of disabled people, or pushing them out of the way in the manner you've described, then I am sure that I will run in to you, since we live in the same town. At that time, I will call the police, who will either write you a ticket or arrest you (depending on your behavior at the time). You will go before a very unsympathetic judge in Rockville who will explain to you, in very clear terms, why you can't do this, and why what you think is 'fair treatment' carries rather steep fines and possible community service or even jail sentences.

For those of you who don't want to go to all the trouble and expense, here is an approximate version of what the judge will tell you: The right of access is guaranteed disabled people by a series of federal laws, starting with the Disability Rights Act of 1983. Establishments that serve the public must make a concerted effort to assure that barriers and restrictions (including rules such as 'you have to stand in line) of any sort do not prevent or limit the ability of disabled people from accessing their facilities. Although a healthy, unimpaired person might be able to stand in line, move with the line and generally deal with the requirements of being in line, disabled people often have trouble with it; they often are physically challenged, and just standing in line can be fatiguing and even physically painful - and of course, a disabled person has trouble moving with the crowd; they can be pushed, stepped on and even trampled because they don't have the mobility that others have.

The law recognizes that it is fundamentally unfair that disabled people should have to suffer hardships that others do not, and to take risks that others do not, simply to have access to buildings and events.

User Detail :  

Name : Ted24680, Gender : M, City : Gaithersburg, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : disabled/retired,