Reply To: What’s it like to be a lesbian?

J.R.
What makes me want to be with another woman is beyond my control (and comprehension), but it's really no different from whatever it is that makes a straight woman want to be with a man. I can tell you, however, that it's always been clear to me that it's primarily an emotional orientation - sexual attraction is secondary. I love women for their unique blend of gentleness and strength, the depth of their love, the fire of their passion... What I look for is a sharp mind and fantastic sense of humor, in a woman who isn't afraid to be who she is. As much as I love a pretty face, looks really aren't that important. Looks can -- and do -- fade, so I'm much more concerned with substance.

As for how it feels when you realize you're a lesbian, well, I always knew I was different, and finally learned there were other gay people in the world by reading a book when I was 10. It was scary then, because I was so young, and I didn't have any role models for being a lesbian, and because what I read painted a pretty bleak picture of gay people at the time. When I finally told another person I was gay, I was 15, and I felt as though the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders. I'm 40 now and wouldn't go back in the closet for the world. Pretending to be something you're not just to please other people just plain feels bad and does a pretty nasty number on your self-esteem. I'm very comfortable being out. Everyone in my life, from family to co-workers, knows. I don't make an issue of it because it's just who I am. And I learned a long time ago that if you treat being gay just like any other fact about your life, most people are totally cool with it. Those who freak out (and that seldom happens) are the ones with the problem, not me.

User Detail :  

Name : J.R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 40, City : Los Altos, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Web developer-turned-artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,