Reply To: Nuns vs. Hijabis

Mike
Participant
It's not that Americans think it's wrong for Muslim women to cover their heads and bodies, but more that some (myself included) think it is wrong that women are forced against their will to become Muslim and, among ultra-conservative Muslim sects, forced to wear Hijabis. As we have seen with the Taliban, in some instances women are beaten if they do not comply. Catholic women choose to become nuns, and part of that choice is accepting that they may be required to wear a habit (it's been ages since I've seen a nun in full habit). If a woman were forced to become Catholic and then forced into the nunhood and forced to wear a habit, I would think that just as wrong as forcing a woman to become Muslim and wear a Hajibi. One of the reasons behind the forming of the United States was to escape religious persecution, and one of the tenets we hold strongest is freedom of religion.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Ben Lomand, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class,