Reply To: Hiring diversity ad nauseum?

Mary
Participant
Yep, and it's a damn shame, too! I think that all the hype over Affirmative Action in the '90s opened the way for people to sue companies because they thought they didn't get hired 'because of their ethnic background,' so rather than getting slapped with a lawsuit, many companies are biting the bullet and hiring too many minorities who might be un- or under-qualified.

This also is happening in the academic community. A friend of mine was passed over for a placement in a PhD. program because she wasn't black. She was even told that they chose the other woman because of her color. The sad thing is that these two women were friends and knew each other's scores. My friend's were higher, yet they chose the black candidate.

Personally, I would feel slighted if I were given a position within any setting because they were trying to fill a quota.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 28, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : social work, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,