Reply To: North America, Europe and the automobile

Jacqueline-C21011
Participant
Many Americans are resistant to mass transit. Americans love their cars. Cars are much more than mere modes of transportation. Cars are status symbols, as well as a symbol of freedom. With a car you can go anywhere at anytime without relying on anyone else's schedule. In most parts of the country kids can't wait until their 16th birthday because then they can get their licenses. Its a rite of passage, a symbol of freedom. This is a tough mind-set to change. But as traffic conditions worsen and people get fed up with dealing with it everyday, like I did, they will be more receptive to mass transit. I still have my beloved car, but it stays in the garage most of the time. I take the bus to work and drive my car on the weekends. I never realized how stressful it is to fight traffic everyday until I started taking the bus. I really saw a difference in how I felt at the end of the day.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacqueline-C21011, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,